29 September 2013

Autumn Equinox in the Interior of Alaska

I am often searching for poems appropriate to this time of year here in the interior.  It is a challenge, as most poems capture the essence of Autumn the way I remember it from my childhood back East.  While elsewhere in our country, Fall Equinox heralds the first day of Autumn and the beginning of the Harvest Season, here in Fairbanks, the Equinox marks the near-end of the Harvest season and acts as  a finger, beckoning winter to come.  We celebrated the Autumn Equinox as we have for several years now, thankfully during the lull between one child with chicken pox and the next (Dove is in the thick of it now!)  As I was searching for poetry that gives a picture of what this time feels like in  my heart, I came across this one from Emily Bronte...it is perfect:
 
Autumn Poem by Emily Bronte
 
Fall, leaves, fall;
Die, flowers, away;
Lengthen night and shorten day.
Every leaf speaks bliss to me
Fluttering from the Autumn tree
I shall smile when wreaths of snow
Blossom where the rose should grow
I shall sing when night's decay
Ushers in a drearier day.

No comments: