13 September 2013

Going with the Flow

 At one point over the last week, I found myself feeling very stressed out.  I had hoped to begin main lessons this week, but we all came down with this bug and it didn't work out.  I have been poring over curricula and scouring pinterest for last minute ideas of things to do for our lessons
(never a good idea the week you are planning to begin!)...while at the same time worrying that we will be more and more and more behind because of being sick and because of all the things
we "should" be (but are not) doing.
 
Argh!
 
Thank you to my friend Sasha and to Melisa Nielsen, once again, for reminding me of the Heart of Waldorf and the Spirit of Anthroposophy.  In a consult with Melisa this morning, she asked me "are you dogmatic about any other part of your life?" (this was a rhetorical question, of course, because we both already knew the answer).  "So why be dogmatic about educating your children?"
 
Duh!  This is WHY we homeschool!  So that we can have an unhurried life. 
 So that we can take time to heal...or read...or create...or play.
 
Some people make Waldorf so much harder than it needs to be...and often times I am one of them!
 
Well, after talking to Sasha and Melisa, I am reminded of several things...
 
1.) BREATHE!  (and if I can't, rescue remedy is just a few steps away)
 
2.) I am fine right where I am and all is as it should be.  So are my kids.
 
3.) What I read on Waldorf  websites and blogs, curricula, pinterest, or anywhere other than in my heart, is all fluff and while it may be inspiring and interesting, does not matter.  There is no "should".  Being present where I am and meeting the needs of my family are what matters.
 
4.) Remember that one person's interpretation of Steiner or expression of Waldorf is not
the one and only way...it will look different for each individual/family.
 
5.) Always, always, always go back to the Source and connect in order to find the path...my path...our path.
 
6.) Reflect on all we have done.  See the beauty and joy... and celebrate the accomplishments! 
 
With all that said, here are the beauty and the joy we have found this week in the midst of feeling yucky.  Here is a celebration of our accomplishments as we bid farewell to Summer, welcome Autumn and prepare for Fall Equinox and Michaelmas:

solar prints


pressed plants
 
 
needlefelting




fermenting (Cortido from Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions)
 
 
 
baking (blueberry-rhubarb pie)
playing games
land art


We haven't been busy, but life has been full.  We haven't "done school", but we have learned much.  We haven't been following our plan, but we have been going with the flow.
 
And all is well.

No comments: