27 August 2013

Another Lovely Weekend

Last weekend was lovely...
 
Aside from my broken toe,
 
 
I have only wonderful things to say about the past four days!
 
BuffaloHeart actually had four days off...
 
in the same month!
 
In ONE week!
 
IN A ROW!
 
We had planned to do a camping trip down to Chitina...
 
Perhaps he would do some dipnetting...
 
The kids would get to see where our salmon come from...
 
We would hike and wander and explore...
 
But, our truck broke.
 
Okay, well, I guess that's the only other thing I have to complain about besides my broken toe.  Our broken truck.
 
However, we made the best of an otherwise unpleasant situation, and really did have a wonderful four days!
 
On Saturday, I made pickles for the first time!  I pickled cucumbers, kohlrabi and green beans...
 
 
Of course, once I got started and realized how utterly simple it is, I was able to improvise the recipes based on what I had in the fridge.  Click on the names of the veggies (above) to find the basic recipes I followed.
 
I got the whole kitchen clean, but became so obsessed with pickling and canning that I had to find more to do!  So I made some more dilly beans and finished the highbush cranberry ketchup I had started a few days earlier...
 
 
The ketchup recipe came from the Alaska Wild Berry Guide & Cookbook.  I don't have a kitchen scale so I couldn't weigh the berries.  I knew I had nowhere near the 6 pounds called for, so I just kind of fudged it.  I just added things until it seemed good...no measuring here!  When friends came over I had Cali-mama try a taste and she exclaimed "that is AWESOME!  That would be really good on the ducks" (she is the person who BuffaloHeart slaughtered ducks with last week!)
 
BuffaloHeart thinks it tastes somewhere between a ketchup and a barbecue sauce.  Either way, I am in "go-mode" for highbush cranberry picking so I can make more.  Hearing someone exclaim "AWESOME!" over something I came up with during one of my kitchen-witchery sessions is always music to my ears!
 
My (not)pantry is starting to look pretty good!

 
I also finished the orange owl for OrangeBoy...again, the "awesome" word rang out when I handed it to him.  Needless to say, I felt a tremendous sense of accomplishment at having two "awesomes" in one day!

 
 
I am learning that if I want to actually finish a project, small is the way to go!  Of course, when one of your closest friends is a prolific knitter, it is hard to "just say no" to peer pressure...you end up starting all sorts of amazing hats and shawls and cloaks and cowls and things that pile up because you can't figure out how to fix all of the mistakes, or you drop so many stitches you end up with a big tangle.  So, I found this pattern on pinterest: cute...simple...do-able!  I've already finished two!  I am currently working on the cat pattern that the owl was based on. 
 
Trust me, friends...bigger is NOT always better!
 
More to come...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make me smile!

Bigger is not always better. Complicated is often more fun.

But all I do is knit. Look at your long list of awsome-ness! Sheesh!

You are awesome.